Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Thorn


A climbing red rosebush grew ,on the west side of the house, that my husband and I moved into June of 2005. The prior year of 2004 was a difficult year for us. My husband lost his job and started his own printing company. Financial stress sent him on an emergency trip to the hospital because his blood pressure skyrocketed. A few days later, he was released from the hospital and we had to make some major changes in our lives.

Over the next several months, a chain of events took place and I found myself living in a little house with the climbing red rosebush. The day we moved in I walked around to the side of the house where the bush was growing and counted sixteen roses. As I pulled one of the stems towards me, I noticed large thorns covering the long stems. I gently pulled one of the roses to my nose and inhaled, immediately my senses were engulfed in the delicate fragrance and a feeling of peace blanketed my weary soul. Life had been rough and it was time for some peace.

When springtime came the next year, I had fifty roses. I believe God was showing me His increase of blessings upon our lives. I spent time putting organic dirt and compost around the bush to give it some nourishment. I enjoyed cutting some of the roses to bring inside to put on my desk so I could admire their beauty. The next year of 2007 I was awestruck when I counted one hundred roses with their brilliant faces gazing at the sunshine. Our lives were blessed.

In the autumn of 2007 my precious husband suddenly passed from this life into eternity. My life was shattered and my heart was in need of great repair. A year has passed now and just a few weeks ago, during a time of prayer, I realized I had a lot of anger and fear about the future. I prayed and ask God what was wrong. He whispered in my heart, "you have a thorn." Oh, no! A thorn? Reluctantly I asked, "what is the thorn, Lord?" He answered, "unforgiveness." I fell asleep that night and didn't rest well. The next morning I shared the story with my sister and she prayed with me. I made a choice to forgive my husband and ask God to remove the thorn. He is always faithful. The fear and anger are completely gone and I have hope for the future.

Unforgiveness is a deadly emotion that can cause sickness and disease in our bodies if not dealt with properly. Before a beautiful rose can bloom, many thorns are formed. Our health depends upon making the right choices in this life. You too, may find some thorns in your own heart, but take courage by the hand and trust God to bring you through the jagged edges of your life. He will heal you. Life will be good and your rose will bloom again.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

thats awesome mom- your such a good writer! love you

Marie said...

I love your heart. God walks with you and cares for you. As he does with all of us. It is obvious you are very attuned to his presence and listen very carefully. I love you, also.

You are such a wonderful friend and mean so much to me. As you know, I have my own thorns that I have been dealing with. And you have helped me with them. (God working in you have helped me.)